When It Comes to Weight Loss, Giving Up Is Not an Option
Working your way towards a healthier weight is not a simple task. Most people who are trying to lose weight need to break years - maybe decades - of unhealthy habits. As you may well know, this is not an easy undertaking. It requires an unwavering commitment to your diet and exercise plan even when life gets stressful - which is every day for most of us. There may be times when you feel like throwing in the towel, but if you are truly committed to losing weight giving up is not an option. Use these tips to stay motivated and be a winner at weight loss.
1. Plan for imperfection. Just like everyone, you will falter sometimes. Expect it; and come up with a few strategies to deal with your setbacks immediately. No matter how small, it's critical to have an action plan to get back on track. For example, let's say you decide to skip your Zumba class and go out to eat instead; and you end up overeating. Have a solid plan to start the next day with a healthy breakfast and make sure you get to the gym. Remember, a small relapse does not have to turn into a total collapse.
2. Maintain a supportive environment. If there are certain stores, foods or even friends that lead you to make unhealthy choices, keep your distance. You will be more likely to stay on track if you surround yourself with motivators - people, places and things that have a positive influence on helping you maintain your new healthier lifestyle.
3. Document your progress. Take stock of any and all positive changes you have made so far. Document your progress in a success journal as this will help build confidence in your ability to accomplish your goals. Whether you keep a journal next to your bed, in your office, or on your computer - it doesn't matter. The important thing is to write down each day's successes. A seemingly insignificant action such as making it to the gym after a sluggish day at work is - in reality - a huge accomplishment. Track your progress and acknowledge every healthy change you make. This is a great strategy to keep you moving forward.
4. Dress for success. Don't wait until you have lost all your weight to treat yourself to well-fitting clothes. A new skirt or pair of pants that can be tailored as you lose weight will make you feel good about yourself right now. Imagine a beautiful new wardrobe. Begin to build it one outfit at a time and get rid of your old "fat" clothes along the way. You won't be needing them any longer.
5. Take a break now and then. Stay engaged by planning a "cheat" every once in a while. Indulging in a special dessert or meal can make all the difference in the world when it comes to accomplishing your long-term goals. Give yourself a little controlled wiggle-room every now and then. This can keep you from falling off the wagon all together. However, once your "cheat" is over, get right back to your plan.
6. Share your commitment. It's kind of hard to blow off your weight loss plans when you share them with others. Spread the word to those around you that you intend to eat breakfast every day or take a walk during lunch, for example. Encourage people to call you out when they see that you are not sticking with your plan. Sometimes a simple reminder is all you need to follow through and make it happen.
7. Appreciate all your accomplishments. Instead of focusing just on the weight you aren't losing quick enough, focus on all you have accomplished so far; for example, feeling more energetic, saving money by not buying junk food, and being a good role model for your kids. It's more meaningful to look at the big picture rather than just the number on the scale.
8. Accept that change is hard. There will be some days - perhaps many days - when you will have to push yourself. On those hard days, you will need to find a way to do the right thing - go to the gym, stop at the grocery store rather than the drive-through, pack a lunch for tomorrow - in spite of the fact that you don't feel like it. Life is like that sometimes and you may need to - Just do it!
With all the stress and de