4 Foods That Are Bad For Dogs
Four Foods that are Dangerous for Your Dog
If you cook for your dog, or if your pet eats table scraps or shares snacks, make sure that certain foods are never part of his diet. Some foods that are fine for people are dangerous for dogs, and, in a worst-case scenario, might kill them.
If you get a great deal of pleasure from chocolate, you might think your dog will also enjoy this treat. That's a big mistake. While people can handle theobromine, an ingredient in chocolate, dogs don't metabolize it properly. It doesn't take a lot of chocolate to harm dogs, since the theobromine stays in the canine body a long time and affects the central nervous system. Dark chocolate contains the most theobromine, but any type poses risks. Another chocolate ingredient, caffeine, also stimulates the CNS, and that's a double whammy for dogs. Dogs suffering from chocolate toxicity may experience diarrhea, vomiting, hyperactivity, trembling muscles and go into seizures. Some dogs may die. Call your veterinarian if your dog consumes any chocolate, whether it is in the form of candy, cake or cocoa.
Garlic and Onions
Garlic and onions belong to the allum family. That's also true of chives, leeks, shallots and scallions and similar bulbs. Whether fresh or dried, all members of the allum family can potentially harm canines. All of these foods can cause life-threatening anemia in dogs by harming their red blood cells. Suspect anemia if your dog ate food containing any of these bulbs. Symptoms include loss of appetite, pale gums, weakness and gastrointestinal disorders. Place a call to your vet as soon as possible.
Always read labels carefully before giving your dog any food not designed for canines. Lots of foods that you think may be safe for dogs are potentially hazardous because they contain garlic and onions - even some types of baby food.
Raisins and Grapes
Although raisins and grapes are healthy snacks for people, even small amounts can seriously harm dogs. The former are worse than the latter when it comes to canines. It doesn't take a large number of raisins or grapes to lead to canine kidney failure, although the exact mechanism triggering this organ failure is unknown.
The dog doesn't appear immediately affected, but may start vomiting within 12 hours of consuming raisins or grapes, with kidney failure following. Don't wait until your dog shows signs of illness. If he ate raisins or grapes, get him to the vet as soon as possible.
Beware Sugar Free Products
Although you might avoid giving your dog foods or snacks containing sugar, certain artificial sweeteners are actually more dangerous. One in particular, xylitol, can quickly kill a dog. Xylitol is often found in sugar-free gum, among other sugar-free items. When a dog consumes a product containing xylitol, he develops a fast, severe blood sugar drop. He may quickly become disoriented or exhibit seizures or other neurological issues. Xylitol poisoning often leads to liver failure. Don't wait if your dog eats sugar-free gum or anything with xylitol in it. He needs to see a vet immediately.
If you're cooking or eating, resist those pleading eyes. Your dog doesn't know that the food you're enjoying can harm him. Ask your vet about safe, appropriate snacks for your dog, whether you purchase them commercially or make them yourself.Bully Max LLC
offers all high quality natural supplements for all breeds of dogs.