Focus Now - 3 Tips to Channel Your Energy and Get Your Work Done!
Can you relate to this: "How do I train myself to be able to focus like a laser and do things in a step-by-step process that makes sense?"
This is an excellent question because left un-checked; this habit will create a never-ending cycle of wasted time, wasted effort and unfinished projects that lead to an unprofitable business.
If you're struggling with this challenge, here's what you need to do:
1. Identify what exactly is distracting you. Are you addicted to social media? Do you find yourself getting distracted when you hit a roadblock? Could it be you're not requiring other people (your spouse, children, other family members, even your clients) to respect your boundaries around time and space? You won't be able to fix what's not working until you honestly address what is distracting you.If you are struggling to pinpoint the problem, this exercise will help. For one week (5 work days or 7 calendar days - whatever makes the most sense for you), keep track of how you spend every moment of the day. You don't need a detailed diary, but you do need to keep track, such as:
• 9am - 9:30am looked for missing folder
• 9:30am - 11:30am checked email
• 11:30-11:47 - played around on Facebook, etc.
After clearly seeing where you're wasting time, you'll be able to determine what the trigger was that got you distracted and eliminate it from your workday.
2. Get clear on what you're trying to accomplish. It's easy to get distracted when you're not clear about what you're supposed to be working on anyway. Or when you don't see a straightforward path between the task in front of you and the results you're looking to achieve. Whatever your current project happens to be, step back and consider why you wanted to start this project in the first place. Is it that you want to build a new website to attract more high quality leads? Do you need to develop your signature talk so that you can get yourself booked as a speaker and generate a new revenue stream? Perhaps you need to finish developing content for an information product so you can package your expertise into an on-demand learning course that you sell 24/7. Also consider the value and impact finishing your project will have on your business. What will you be able to do when your project is complete that you can't do now?
In addition to breaking down the steps of what you need to do, write down your Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Timely goal on your project plan so you are reminded of your desired result every step of the way.
3. Start small and build momentum. Trying to transform your habits in the space of a week or a day does NOT work. (Trust me, I've tried numerous times and failed.) Instead, take small steps.If you feel that you have zero focus during the day, start out by committing to ONE focused hour each day. Pick whichever hour of the day you want, decide what you want to spend that time on and then shut off ALL distractions (phones, email, social media, kids, dogs, mates, etc.) that might get in your way. Even if the rest of your day (seemingly) falls apart, at least you spent one hour focused and working efficiently. Once you've mastered an hour, move up to two hours.
Keep going and before you know it, your days will fly by and you'll actually see yourself getting through your to do list. (Imagine that!)
The ability to focus like a laser is not unattainable. It is a skill that you can acquire by implementing the three points that are mentioned in above.
Known as "The Smart Simple Marketing Coach," the tech-savvy Sydni uses a results-focused, "how to" approach in implementing simple, customized strategies so service professionals create profitable businesses in which they enjoy the lifestyle they choose.
Visit http://www.SmartSimpleMarketing.com for your FR*EE training course, "5 Simple Steps to More Clients, More Visibility and More Freedom" and apply for a FR*EE "Profit Breakthrough" session with Sydni!